Caringbah (an Aboriginal word for a pademelon wallaby) is a suburb, in southern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Caringbah is 24 kilometres (15 mi) south of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of Sutherland Shire.
Kurnell, within the Sutherland Shire, was the original landing place of Captain James Cook on 29th April 1770, making the Shire the birthplace of our modern nation.
The Sutherland Shire is home to the Royal National Park. Established in 1879 it is Australia's first national park and the second oldest national park in the world- after Yellowstone in the USA.
Caringbah was originally called Highfield, but it is unclear whether this was a position description or whether it was named after an early resident. "Caringbah" was used from 1911, after the steam trams began operating between Cronulla and Sutherland.
Most of the area around Miranda and Caringbah was used for market gardening from the 1880s. Caringbah was still used for orchards and farming until after World War II. The railway line to Cronulla opened in 1939.
Caringbah features a mixture of residential, commercial and industrial areas. The commercial district is made up mostly of small businesses specialising in professional services. A large commercial and industrial area is also centred on Taren Point Road and surrounding areas. The main shopping centre is located close to Caringbah railway station and is centred on the intersections of President Avenue, the Kingsway and Port Hacking Road South
Caringbah is home to the public district Sutherland Hospital adjacent to Caringbah Ambulance Station and Kareena Private Hospital on Kareena Road.
Located in Caringbah and overlooking the beautiful Yowie Bay, Camellia Gardens is a favourite with Shire residents and visitors alike. In March 2014 E.G. Waterhouse National Camellia Gardens was named by the International Camellia Society as an International Camellia Garden of Excellence. It is only one of 40 International Camellia Gardens of Excellence in the world and the only such garden in New South Wales.